Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Saturday, May 16, 2009

VORG Leg 7 Starts

Less than 30 minutes away. Don't see Macavity or Oral Exam on the line. Nor do I see any wind to speak of. Zilch on the latter. There is nothing, there. Plenty of opportunities for winning places when there doesn't appear to be enough wind to beat the current. That's what Psyche Song teaches!

Well, I don't believe this picture is as bad as it appears to be. Nor do I believe Macavity won't appear. We shall see what we shall see.

Update (20:38 PDT): Got off to my best start ever, and worked myself up to position 18 (out of 207,000+). But when the wind filled in, I found myself in an adverse wind direction. Now I am around 420 and losing boats quickly. I don't think I can stop the bleeding until new wind comes in at 02:00 tomorrow. Beating at about 53 deg TWA. What else can I do?

Macavity and gang finally showed; they're back a ways. Bailiff also showed. Trailer Park Girl is the closest competitor at this point.

Have to press on.

May 25:

Trailer Park Girl finishes First in Fleet! This is Leg turned out to be the closest VORG event that I have been in. Substantial leads changed back and forth throughout our trans-Alantic crossing. TPG came from behind to grab 1st in Fleet in a photo-finish (click to expand):

Finishing in four digits behind TPG were Oral Exam, Wyliecat-30, Gilded Butterflies, Bailiff, and Macavity. (Oral Exam finished ahead of me by a mere 18 places!) Notably, these members of our SBYC Group also finished 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th in the 53-Member California Club.

Unfortunately, None of us finished under 1,000! For us, who have to contend with 2 A.M. watches, that achievement should be equivalent to line honors. Maybe next Leg?

Congratulations to all who sailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment