Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Power Outage

14 boats started in 4-5 knots of wind from the south on a course which was ultimately shortened.

We got a staggeringly fine start given the power shortage. Even though we knew it wasn't going anywhere for us in the standings, we had a decent sail.

The only thing I would have done differently was to try the chute on the first leg. Crew suggested the light blue. I guess I didn't think it worth the effort, especially with the traffic snarls with other fleets. Instead, I eventually hyper-extended the jib into a wing-and-wing effort. Worked out. Some.

Any hour on the water beats any day on land. Surely.

2 comments:

  1. Light Blue is good. My university colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. As I was getting my newspapers a few minutes ago, I was thinking not trying the light blue was my single regret from Wednesday night. I was embarrassed by its size?

      It would have been the easier spinnaker to set on a light, reachy leg. Plus, it was a creative suggestion from crew which should be rewarded & reinforced. Plus it would have kept crew busy. Plus it was your school colors.

      Where was my head?

      Delete