Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Lady at the Helm Race

Like many of our races, LATHeR is a pursuit race. As can be seen from the photo above, we are in pursuit in quite a few boats on the first leg. Also quite apparent is that I haven't yet dialed in my new camera: this was my best shot for the day. I should have taken this opportunity to try more photos; definitely need the practice.

 Since Trophy Wife had two other ladies aboard to back her up, I had zippo time at the helm. Very frustrating for me, that there is little I am capable of doing on Das Boot anymore, other than driving. I totally was too weak as mainsheet grinder at the leeward mark, for example.

However the day was tank-top warm with a steady 15-20 knots. I found myself consciously suppressing competitive calculations ("What can we do to do better against X-boat"). I wanted to concentrate on just being in buoyant motion on a sublimely beautiful day.

At the end of which, Trophy Wife received a glass for a well-sailed 5th place out of a dozen.
Here are some shots from a Photo Boat!

1 comment: