Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Intensity

I can't wait to see Robert Redford's latest film, All Is Lost.

I usually have to wait to see fresh cinema when they are no longer fresh, via Netflix. One, because I can't count on lasting through a full length feature without a comfort break. Two, my hearing deficit is such that I depend on closed captions. (I could even benefit with CC in personal conversations!) But the lack of captions in this feature should not be a factor because there is not much dialogue in this film; just the unmistakable, easily listening, Redford's voice-over.

But I want to see this release because I am personally curious as to how a man two years older than I could find himself sailing Virginia Jean, an ancient Cal-39, alone in the Indian Ocean. I want to see if I can suspend my disbelief. How could anyone that old have anything left to prove substantial enough to require such a solo voyage? Redford's certainly in much better physical shape than I. Reportedly, he performed most of stunts required by his role in this production.

All Is Lost has been shown at the Cannes festival in special, Hors Competition (out of competition) screenings, ineligible for the Palme d'Or. Reportedly, it received a ten-minute standing ovation.

Based upon the sketchiest previews, I expect this saga contains everything that the cinematic sea-going adventure genre is expected to cover: collisions at sea, storms, sharks, pirates, man overboard, radio failures, engine failures and human failures.

Without disclosing TMI, in my time I've personally experienced some of the above. Certainly not one of them sailing solo and not more than one at a time. And none in the Indian Ocean. But I've certainly had those self-interrogations crash through my brain:

What am I doing here?
How did it come to this?
How will it be reported in the news?

I'm insanely curious as to what will be whirling around in the head of Redford's character. Sailing alone, will he have audible flashbacks on his life? Will there be flashbacks on his preparations of, or lack thereof, the boat?

I'm looking here for a mirror of my own shadows: inadequacies, fears and anxieties experienced back in the days when I did island cruises.

Will we understand, in the end, WTF he's out there? It's got to be something more than just cheating the nursery home?

I do not expect a feel-good experience like in other sailing movies. (It's Robert Redford.) But it will have intensity. Which is okay.

Isn't that what we are all living for?

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I expect you'll get to see it & blog it before I do, BD!

      Delete
  2. And Doc has finally told us how old he is. Not very old at all really!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm beginning to feel your pain, Doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even do my own stunts hardly in cleaning up my garage. How could I hope to rescue a sinking Cal-39 in the middle of the Indian Ocean?

      Delete
  4. Not so surprising, Doc. Robert is a vegetarian after all....

    Looks like it will be a very entertaining film. I avoid going to see films in the theater for two reasons - it costs a ridiculous amount here in Japan and the volume is so loud that if you weren't deaf going in, you will be by the time the movie is over. :0

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks good - I wish the preview was longer! I've always like Redford, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the wiki entry and it does, indeed, sound intriguing. I could certainly handle seeing Redford in a sustained fashion...

    ReplyDelete