I can play all the excuse cards I dealt Das Boot today:
- Crew absenteeism: missing both members of my foredeck crew because of vacation (or hang-overs?).That took our spinnaker out of the game.
- Replacement crew was composed of somebody's mother (a good photographer), neighboring boat owner (a good back-up driver) and a crew from another boat (excellent mainsheet trim).
- Totally late to the start line. (Yeah. That was a factor.)
- Blind-sided by wind change right after the start. Wind dropped from 18 to 10 and veered to the south long after I committed to the Kelp straits.
- Maybe too closely trimmed on beats. But that's who I am. I'd rather point than foot.