Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

First Thoughts

Worse than performing under expectancies in a race is not knowing exactly what I did wrong. What were my mistakes?

First thoughts:

I am not as agile and aware as I once was as a skipper. I am aware of that and don't have to command and confidence as I have had as late as a year ago. Therefore, it is not a good idea to start bang-against the starboard pin or even close to it. Too crowded for me to compete for clear air, I think. Next week, down the line where I can get clear air, be on the line at minus 1 second, and have a more strategic angle tacking off to the beach early. I have got to win the first leg better than I did last night. 4th to weather mark is not good enough. I was in a crowd of boats the entire race, rounding the leeward mark inside, but with four other boats abreast.

5 comments:

  1. Good thoughts.

    Is this oil spill in California near you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a matter of days or weeks, Mr. T. But we expect the foul seepage to reach us soon enough.

      Delete
    2. They are now estimating that more than 100,000 gallons of crude spilled into the ocean, covering 9 miles of shoreline in the thickest, most caustic stuff you can imagine. I have been out to the site a couple of times now and the fumes are overpowering.

      Delete
  2. Quit belly-aching. You finished 6th out of 12 (across the line). Handicaps are always going to screw you. What's new and noteworthy. And why are you carrying on like you're old and feeble? Selling the boat, etc.? What does that mean for your crew morale? You need to do some more thinking.

    ReplyDelete