beyond my control....?
No. I am only responsible for,
- The remaining hard core of the crew, MVP and Bubbles, going off to Greece on a 1-month sailing vacation.
- Two boats who locked their rigging in front of me on the starting line.
- Picking the starboard end of the line to start on despite the fact that it was blowing 18 knots.
- The fog.
- Using the foggy conditions and untested inexperience of my transitional crew as an excuse not to set spinnaker. (Not placing confidence in the crew or giving them enough to do is a good way to lose what I have.)
- Losing my own path downwind in the fog.
- Not assessing the wind patterns on the last windward leg which clearly would have indicated to any level-headed observer that this day was one of the 5% times when the wind was better (than the current) on the port side of the leg.
The Good Guys got a DFL. But I am the one who should be punished. Thankfully, Trophy Wife still loves me. (Says she does, anyways.)
Then there's Ballou: Semper Fidelis.