Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It's Hellish Watching from Shore

While a fourth of your fleet gobbles up big points just for finishing....

Today, it was blowing so hard, I couldn't back out of my slip. (26 knots) If I had been able to, and if it hadn't been so frigging cold, I might have flown my minuscule jib long enough to record a start so I could come back to the bar with a DNF score. With 75% of the fleet not even suiting up, that would have been significant accomplishment. But I am an old man now, and I sail more now for enjoyment than for accomplishment. One year has changed a lot.

How old am I, (Baydog asks)? It all depends on the boat. Right? And the man, too! How does one know when one has reached a degree of age and infirmity that he begins to worry about the safety of others who might have to rescue him? It's laughable. My boat - I can't go sailing unless my crew takes me. I would and could downsize easily but Trophy Wife loves boat marginally less than me. That has to be a major concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment