Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Clipper Around the World (Virtual) Race Finishes Leg 8

San Francisco to Panama
After more than 2,500 miles of sailing (virtually), I have to savor this moment-mostly, because this moment promises to be fleeting. Vigilance is crossing on port No Going Back [Lime] and Little Surprise [Yellow] who are (virtually) within sight of each other off the coast of Costa Rica. Vigilance is going 9.1 knots in 17.8 knots of wind. Among the boats we have been tracking in this 8th Leg of the Clipper Around the World (virtual) Race, this a competition for 2nd place. (Polya is 69 miles ahead of us!) Also in the picture is Macavity2, whose skipper is a primary adversary on my own (real) waters. Stuck gunnel-to-gunnel with Macavity2 is Canadian RodH.

Exciting moment!

But in 2nd place at noon, I slip back into a virtual 6-way tie for 3rd by midnight! Only a drastic change in the weather can save me from much worse of a fate. But that's sailing, isn't it?

Click to expand the chart...

9 comments:

  1. If this were in the Atlantic, I'd know I was in the Bermuda Triangle. Here? I'm in a toilet but I'm not sure it has a name. Wherever it is, I'm glad I'm not really there. Because I'm really at my desk, I can turn the game off for four hours....... or more....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why deny yourself the pleasure this little boat gives you? Leave the game running in the background and have a little peak, once in a while, just to see what the opposition is doing...

    No Going Back
    (btw: I spent so much time going back is almost embarrassing and I also get loads of kind messages from other skippers telling me I'm going backwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice! Maybe I'll go to work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One can easily understand why there's talk of shortening the real version of this leg of the race, there not being much wind to speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything! Anything to prevent delaying the start of the next leg from Panama to Jamaica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the real Clipper Race, this leg has been shortened to facilitate yachts' arrival at the canal on their due date. Seven boats have finished. Of the starters only California and Uniquely Singapore are still racing. In the Virtual Race, at least 847 out of 90,000 have finished the original (unshortened) leg. Vigilance has zilch chance of finishing under 1,000.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw you aground early this morning. Couldn't raise you on the VHS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I have said too many times before, I so hate it when I can't learn from the mistakes of others!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm done. 1,576. It is what it is.....

    ReplyDelete