Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Bandicoot!

I'm a fan. Bandicoot is the Wyliecat-30 racing in the 6-boat Fleet A in the Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race (STPYC) starting today.

For one thing, I'm a big fan of single-handed racing, although I have never done it in keel boats. And I'm well past my Laser years.At my age, I couldn't ever dream of even doing a overnight single-handed race, solo. So all I have for this biennial 2,120 nautical mile single-handed race from San Francisco to Hanalei Bay is great admiration. Not envy.

The real reason I am going to follow this year's race is that the Wyliecat-30 is on my short list of bucket boats. This will be Bandicoot's second consecutive STPYC. In 2010 she finished last out of four boats in her class. This year I'll be tracking and rooting Al Germain's progress across the Pacific.

After all, I can't root for the Dodgers anymore. They're dead in the water.


Bandicoot is the enlarged image. 4th in class.

2 comments:

  1. Windsurfer on steroids! The mention of Hanalei Bay makes me homesick for Hawaii and my mo'opuna wahine (granddaughters). For a lovely hula, search youtube for RealHula presents Hanalei Moon . Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh.... Hanalei Bay is added to my bucket list, too, Panda!

    ReplyDelete