Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Busted & Disgusted

Started at the port end in 3 knots. Did not do what I promised two days ago to do next time I was faced with this, which was to hang back and deliberately start late to avoid being caught like a sitting duck by faster starboard tack starters. Instead, I thought I saw an opening and drifted in and became a sitting duck with no leeway. PROTESTED! The water ways were so cluttered with drifting fiberglass, there was no space to do penalty turns and no way on even to gibe. I hated to do it but, after an hour, we kicked on the iron genny and dropped sail. We were the first but not the only. Fine crew. I'll get over it. Hope they do, too.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think I had better stop relying on luck. For a change.

      Delete
  2. You not only fouled. It looked like there had to be some fending off. You got a broadside salvo of expletives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only 7 of 13 finished. You beat us into the bar. Be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of skippers received my apologies this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel too apologetic. The Beneteau you fouled and forced OCS, re-started, and ended up winning. What does that say about our handicap system?

      Delete
    2. I don't want to go there. I'm trying to sell my boat (to a cruiser). Don't ask me to sell out my fleet.

      Delete