Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Full Monty

Enjoyed another long-ish race on Sunday. This was a 16.5 mile windward leeward race in 2-6 knots of wind and flat seas. Five and half hours on the water! This was an inaugural race for a cup Trophy Wife and I dedicated to our fleet. Two years ago, when the race was first sailed (sans trophy) we failed to finish the first leg. Last year we finished last. It promises our heavy-air boat only no-wind, no-win experiences. Nevertheless, this year we finished 16th out of 24 starters.

It was a very good experience. I learned I could trust two people at helm: one guy kept the boat moving to weather in 3 knots; and another lady proved her spurs by sailing the entire leeward leg and finishing. I also learned how much fun I can have racing when I'm not on the helm! Unexpected discoveries of hidden talent is one of the few benefits of sailing without your regular crew. Fun.

I also built my case for spending $500 to get a VMG readout visible from the helm. Another day or two and I'm going to pull the trigger on that puppy!
Click to enlarge these photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment