Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Two Years Ago Today

My finest moment in the 2009 Volvo Ocean Racing Game (VORG), the virtual yacht race, on-line, real-time, with 200,000 plus boats. 

Notice in the lower, right-hand corner it indicates I am in 32nd place mid-way in the Rio-to-Boston Leg!

Two additional items need to be pointed out:.

  1. This shot was taken 15 1/2 minutes after the GRIB change, so I had driven home to check on the weather change. (Couldn't phone a mark-rounding in, either!)
  2. I had meticulously pre-nav...igated my heading approaching this rounding mark, never noticing that the buoy had not been placed by VORG on the east extreme of the island. (see the little half-moon silhouette touching Wyliecat's jib? 
Why did they have to place it thusly? Demonic malevolence is why.

Not expecting it, I panicked and used extreme turns to avoid grounding on the rock and thereby immediately lost 1,200 places.

4 comments:

  1. This is a minimalist post. The Dodgers had Manny in left field two years ago. What's that got to do with now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, of course. This was a post I scheduled months ago when I found the image in my files. I shoulda taken it down as soon as it appeared. But now that it has one comment on it, I can't do that, can I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Doc, I think I hit that little island too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Paula! I knew you would understand. You've been there!

    Enjoying your holiday on the continent?

    ReplyDelete