Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Monday, August 1, 2011

Vigilance F.C.

This is Vigilance, my Football Club. 

It's one team in a Rotisserie League of nine teams in all. Last night, in a 3 1/2 hour, nine-way conference call, I paid for this club in sweat equity. This was a zero sum game in which I was faced with the task of drafting 15 players from a list comprising some 500+ real-time profession football players from the English Premier League.

My eight adversaries were my four sons, and four of their friends. All were decidedly younger and better informed about the EPL than I. One spoke with a Cockney or Irish accent. (I can't even tell the difference.) All of them had forgotten more than I would ever know about football: that is a good way of putting it.

To top off my agony, my place in the snake was 9th in the first round; yeah I got to be 1st in the 2nd round, but who likes start off any competition assigned in last place?

Nevertheless, this is my team just as much as the Dodgers belong to Frank McCourt. Actually, more so. 


We'll see how it does in the next 38 games. Can't wait until the season starts.

It's started: Click to expand charts!

No comments:

Post a Comment