Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Friday, January 13, 2012

Sounds of Winter

In the middle of the night last Monday, Ballou roused me out of bed. At midnight the two of us went out on the front porch and stared into the darkness. There was a nearly continuous roar coming up from the street(s) below. It sounded like some one was dragging chain on the asphalt. Or chains, something like they drag on a dirt infield before game. It dawned on me that this was the surf from an unusually robust residue from a storm off Baja or some place.

I called the harbor master's office to see if anything was breaking loose. I did not want to go down and check. The guy who answered the phone didn't want to be bothered any more than I wanted to go down. "High surf? I've seen worse," was all he said.



If I close my eyes as I play these clips, I hear chains growling as they are dragged across the streets in front of my house.

3 comments:

  1. And I have a highway near my house and I tell folks that if you tape the sound of the traffic and play it back - it sounds like distant surf. So there you have it. Now you can go to the highway and get relaxed! You don't have to go to the beach.

    Your doberwoman probably would prefer the beach.

    (Congratulations on a great leg to Singapore Doc!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not for nothing are breaking waves called growlers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure you didn't just have anchovies on your pizza?

    ReplyDelete