Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.--Ernest Benn

Friday, April 20, 2012

Ducked a Race


This is a 17.7nm one-way race, usually down wind. What you are seeing here are four yachts crossing the start line from the POV of the Race Committee. Look at the flags flying over the Breakwater. Wind! For the first time in recorded memory.


This down wind drag race favors Das Boot, and we have won this event in the past. We are very good off wind. But like all one-way random course races you always have to turn the engine on to power-sail the way back. I feel compelled to do so, any way, just because I want to get back to the bar when everyone is just as thirsty as you are.

At first glance this decision on my part not to take the day off appeared to have been another blunder. As it was, I slept all day in the office with plenty of stress of being caught. Came home with a head ache. Had I gone on the race, I could have slept quite soundly on the way back.

It turns out that today the wind varied between 3 and 7 knots. Only two boats finished. Those two scored huge points going toward the Fleet's annual High Point Trophy.

They deserve them.

11 comments:

  1. This race would become instantly more popular to the working classes if it were moved to Saturdays, and routed for a race down and back. So, when you finished, you would be home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This race would become instantly more popular to the working classes if it were moved to Rhode Island and sailed in Lasers, say from Pt. Judith to Jamestown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't move races as easily as you can Lasers.

      Delete
    2. No Skip! I've seen & been between Pt. Judith and Jamestown (on a ferry). I don't think Lasers there would be for me. And the next time I zip on a wet suit, it'll be putting it on one of my grandchildren.

      Delete
    3. You do that Pt. J to J-town ride on a sea breeze so it's downwind all the way. Some of the hotshots around here do it to get some downwind wave practice. I'd love to get a group of Laser sailors together one day and do it.

      Delete
    4. Now I get it. But what are the logistics? How do you transport a dozen Lasers a dozen miles over the water?

      Delete
  3. I heard one boat disbelieved their GPS and got lost in the fog. Sailed around the wrong Platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually came down to watch the start with my bag packed and my brand new and freshly programmed GPS inside, hoping to catch a ride. If I has been aboard, I could have backed up his GPS and prolonged their agony. It was better for all that I was not aboard and that they turned back when they did.

      Delete